13.8.08

My project went belly up

I solved my problem with the cotton wadding by using cosmetic cotton. Which I won't do again. Slippery stuff to put it mildly. Halfway through, my son outgrew the thing and I got involved in a few other insane sewing projects. The long and short of it is that I'll resume the project when and if I ever lay my hands on a more suitable cotton wadding. And the pride and joy stays the same size for more than 2 months.

I've switched projects to something that doesn't quite qualify me anymore. I started doing a life size part of an Icelandic altar frontal a few weeks ago. It's fast turning into a huge project along the lines of a bedspread or part of a section of a bedspread. Or possibly a fur lined sleeping bag for my son.

I've done versions of the stitch before, but not in this variety. So far I've spent as much time unpicking as I've spent stitching. The biggest hassle has been the colors. I have a fairly large selection of weaving yarns to choose from, but despite being able to buy plant dye shades......a lot of the green shades are a century or so too modern. In the end I figured a dark bluish green would be a better solution than a faded green. The aim is the vibrant possible colors of the 15thC, not the faded shades we usually see today.

Anyway, I can't wait to see the end results from the rest of you.

No comments: